Chicago’s Very Own WGN-TV has created Chicago media’s first augmented reality app, WGNTV AR. The app brings the physical and virtual worlds together by utilizing Aurasma technology, allowing printed material to virtually come to life in 3D or video form. Launching Thursday in the Chicago Tribune and RedEye newspapers, mobile users who download the WGNTV AR app can scan a Chicago’s Very Own ad and watch the photos in the ad turn to video. Download the app and see attached art to see this ad in action.
Aurasma, an “augmented reality platform” for mobile devices, uses a smart device’s camera to see and recognize images in the real world and then overlay the view with an interactive layer of a virtual world. Mobile users can use this new app to actively engage in print media in various ways by simply holding their device over the printed material. For example, when scanning, users could tap into a live newsfeed of WGN-TV, see a full-screen video report or a 3D image. The WGNTV AR app is available in the Google Play store for Android devices and the iTunes store for Apple phones.
Also check out WGN-TV’s other online products, available for Android and Apple devices
where WGN-TV is Online. Anytime.:
- WGN Live – Watch the WGN News while you are on the go.
- WGNTV.com: Get all the latest news and your favorite segments from WGN News.
- Chicagoweathercenter.com: Explore local weather from the most trusted weathermen in Chicago.
- Adopt- A- Pet: Find out the latest Adopt-A-Pet information from WGN Midday News.
- Around Town: Check out what exciting events and places could be happening in your town with WGN Morning News’ Ana Belaval.
- Cover Story: Stay in the know with the latest cover story segments from WGN News.
- Dean’s List: Find out the latest scoop on new movies before you hit the theaters with Dean Richards on WGN Morning News.
- Larry’s World: Larry Potash gives his take on recent news and stories on WGN Morning News.
- Lunchbreak: Enjoy our latest segments on WGN midday news on your lunch break to stay up to date.
- Medical Watch: Stay in the loop as anchor Dina Bair explores important medical information on the News at Five.
- Music Lounge: Check out the local talent on WGN Midday News’ music lounge.
- Surfin’ the Web: Check out WGN Morning News team’s hilarious web finds to get a laugh for the day.
- Voicemail: Enjoy fans’ voicemails on the air, good or bad, on WGN Morning News.