Tribune Interactive’s Apptivate.Me unit today announced the launch of the Los Angeles Times Hollywood Star Walk mobile app, offering a robust, interactive “L.A.-centric” experience for visitors to Southern California and entertainment junkies.
“Our goal was to create an amazing user experience and we’ve done just that. Users of this app are getting not only a map of the Walk of Fame®, but also a complete download of historical information from the archives of one of the country’s top media sources, the Los Angeles Times,” said Marc Chase, president of Tribune Interactive. “We’ve created the ultimate Hollywood user experience — virtually and in real time.”
The Times scoured its archives to create a complete and accurate roadmap of Hollywood history and the app delivers coverage to users’ fingertips, including rarely seen photos and fascinating details that make Tinseltown’s history come to life. Downloading the app gives you the ability to:
- Find more than 2,000 stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame® anyway you like — by name, block, type or GPS location.
- Learn about your favorite stars from a trusted source. Each star features a mini-bio written by the editorial staff of Southern California’s hometown newspaper.
- Discover which stars are closest to your current Hollywood location.
- Create a custom tour by making a list of your favorite stars — the app does the rest.
- Augment your reality. Simply point your iPhone and see the stars layered directly on the screen. For those without video-capable devices, map mode will point you in the right direction.
The cost of the app is $2.99 and it’s available via the iTunes Store.
The Hollywood Star Walk app was created by Tribune’s Apptivate.Me unit which develops mobile applications for Tribune’s media properties, including Chicago Tribune, Los Angeles Times and KTLA-TV, as well as its advertisers and other clients. Apptivate.Me extends Tribune’s network of 33 mobile sites through multi-platform mobile app development. Working with some of the biggest brands and media entities, Apptivate.Me is quickly building an impressive portfolio of clients and is always looking for new challenges and partners.