CHICAGO, February 8, 2007 — WGN-TV begins its 60th season as the home of Chicago Cubs baseball. WGN-TV will produce 80 Chicago Cubs baseball games, including 72 games on WGN-TV and eight games on WCIU. All Chicago Cubs home games on WGN-DT and WCIU-DT will be broadcast in HDTV in the Chicago area. A complete WGN-TV/WCIU Cubs broadcast schedule is attached. All games are CST.
The duo of Len Kasper and Bob Brenly return to the Cubs broadcast booth for the 2007 season. Both will serve as the voices of the Cubs for WGN-TV and WCIU. WGN Sports’ Emmy Award-winning production team will produce all games. 2007 season highlights include:
- Opening Day, 4/2, as the Cubs go up against their division rivals, the Cincinnati Reds in Cincinnati.
- The Home Opener, 4/9, as the Cubs play the Houston Astros.
- “Next Year is Here,” a live half-hour pre-game special, that will air prior to both Opening Day on 4/2 and the Home Opener on 4/9.
- The Crosstown Classic that will divide the city once again as the White Sox invade Wrigley on 5/18 and the Cubs travel to U.S. Cellular Field on 6/22.
- The Cubs, facing the World Series Champion St. Louis Cardinals at Wrigley Field on 4/22. WGN-TV will carry five of the games between these division rivals on 4/22, 4/27, 7/25, 8/17 and 9/16.
- The Cubs facing their border rivals the Milwaukee Brewers in the first of eight match-ups on 4/6, 4/7, 4/25, 6/5, 6/6, 6/29, 7/1 and 8/30, as well as on 4/23 on WCIU.
- Key match-ups:
- Against former Cubs Nomar Garciaparra, Juan Pierre and the NL West Champion LA Dodgers on 5/25, 5/27 and 9/3, 9/5
- Barry Bonds and the San Francisco Giants on 7/16, 7/18 and 8/22
- Atlanta Braves on 4/19 and 6/2, 6/3 and 6/9
- 2006 NL East Champion NY Mets on 5/14, 5/17 and 8/3
- Seven games on WGN against the Houston Astros beginning 4/9